The Power of Audacity in Setting Direction
There’s a part in “Alice in Wonderland” when Alice asks the Cheshire Cat which way she should go. The cat asks where she’s headed, and Alice responds that she doesn’t really know. “If you don’t know where you are going,” the cat replies, “then any road will get you there.” That’s a good lesson for anyone running a business. As the leader, it’s your responsibility to set the direction for the organization. You’re also responsible for communicating the company’s goals in clear and meaningful terms. “Clear” means the goals are easy to understand. “Meaningful” means they are significant and relevant.
Seven Steps in Setting Direction
The direction of your company is represented in seven steps.
1. Values define the company culture, and state what is permitted and what is not.
2. Vision portrays the ultimate version of what the company can become.
3. Mission is what you do, how you do it, whom you serve, and what results you deliver.
4. Strategy is what the company will accomplish over two to three years to embody its missions, vision and values.
5. Tactics list how your strategies will be accomplished this year.
6 -7. Actions and Goals. Actions are the short-term steps you’ll take in coming months to reach the goals you plan to achieve.
This, again, means setting a very clear goal and then communicating it over and over and over again. Once you get the goal right, amazing things can happen.